You could start your career right after high school, or you could put in one to four years to earn a certificate, associate’s, or bachelor’s degree in tourism. Of course, you could also change course from a related job, and morph your experience as, say, a destination wedding planner into a career as a travel agent.
- 1 How much does a travel agent make?
- 2 Can anyone become a travel agent?
- 3 What are the needed requirements or qualification to become a travel agent?
- 4 Is it worth becoming a travel agent?
- 5 Are travel agents paid well?
- 6 How long does it take to become a travel agent?
- 7 Do you need a degree to be a travel agent?
- 8 How do you get a travel agent certification?
- 9 How much do travel agents make per booking?
- 10 How do I become a travel agent from home?
- 11 How do you get paid and travel?
How much does a travel agent make?
Host Agency Reviews and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) found some common ground in regard to the average salary of a travel agent. The BLS currently lists the average travel agent salary in 2019 as $44,690 with a range of $23,360 and $69,420 dividing the lower to upper 10% of travel agents.
Can anyone become a travel agent?
If you are wondering whether a travel agent career is still relevant with all the technology available these days, the answer is yes! Sure, anyone can get online and book a flight or a couple-night hotel room, but travel agents can provide unbiased travel expertise you are unlikely to find anywhere else.
What are the needed requirements or qualification to become a travel agent?
- Proven work experience as a Travel Agent.
- Excellent knowledge of computer reservations systems, GDS systems and e-travelling.
- Fluency in English; multilingualism is a plus.
- Strong sales skills and commercial awareness.
- Ability to interact, communicate and negotiate effectively.
Is it worth becoming a travel agent?
Travel agents are among the most common and revered workers in the industry. If you love traveling or helping people fulfill their travel dreams, becoming a travel agent might be an excellent option. Nowadays, we all want a job that is flexible enough to save you some you-time while still promising financial stability.
Are travel agents paid well?
The pay isn’t necessarily exorbitant—the median income is $38,700 a year, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, but according to Pindar, it can actually be much higher. “Agents make anywhere from $50K to $100K on the low end and up to $250K to $500K annually,” says Pindar.
How long does it take to become a travel agent?
How long does it take to become a travel agent? There are no industry standards for education and training for travel agents, so one can begin working in this field after high school graduation. Pursuing a certificate or an associate or bachelor’s degree in tourism before seeking a job can take one to four years.
Do you need a degree to be a travel agent?
You can take travel agency courses at a two-year college, or earn a diploma, certificate, or associate degree in travel or tourism. Some universities and colleges even offer bachelor’s and graduate degrees in travel and tourism, which may lead to advanced positions in the industry.
How do you get a travel agent certification?
How to earn a travel agent certification
- Complete a certificate program.
- Earn an associate degree.
- Complete a hospitality industry course.
- Complete an itinerary planning course.
- Complete an international travel course.
- Complete an online travel agent course.
- Certified Travel Associate (CTA) Certification.
How much do travel agents make per booking?
Some offer a meager $2 per reservation (regardless of value), while others based on incentives and productivity will pay commissions as high as 20%. Across the board the average commissions are 3% for Internet bookings, 3-5% on promotional rental rates and 10% on leisure rates booked through GDS distribution channels.
How do I become a travel agent from home?
Here’s the steps to take to start your travel agency from home:
- Find a Travel Agency Niche:
- Choose your travel agency’s name:
- Choose a Business Structure:
- Creating your Travel Agency Business Plan:
- Register your company with the state:
- Get an FEIN (optional, but recommended):
- Set up your travel agency financials:
How do you get paid and travel?
Get Paid To Travel With These 12 Jobs
- Public Speaking.
- Travel Blogging (or fashion, food, mommy, tech, etc.)
- Brand Ambassador.
- Teaching English Jobs.
- Social Media Influencer.
- Work On a Cruise Ship.
- Yacht / Sailboat Delivery Work.
- Run Your Own Travel Tours or Become a Guide.